Author Topic: New interview with Jim  (Read 1503 times)

seancannon

New interview with Jim
« on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Jim talks about the first time he fell in love with music, how the shadiest motel in Louisville was responsible for the birth of My Morning Jacket, and how songwriting helps him capture some certainty in an uncertain world.

https://soundcloud.com/guestlistshow/jim-james-my-morning-jacket

MamaKel

Re: New interview with Jim
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Sean, this interview was one of the best I have heard in a long time. So many interviews are redundant, and explore repetitive themes. Your insights and questions made this totally relevant, and compelled him to speak in more depth about his process. That whole part about indecision and the multiverse made me so happy!!! ♡ We'll done, sir.

seancannon

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:01 AM »
So glad you enjoyed it!

MamaKel

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Yeah, man. That Washington Phillips fella sounds like he is Nina Simone's real dad.
Thanks for sharing this. ♡

walterfredo

• got that old time feeling
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:53 AM »
great interview. Thank you for sharing.

DaydreamNation

• God's fingers choking me
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2017, 12:36 PM »
World famous Louisville artist on a world famous Louisville radio show. Thanks Sean!
Most recent MMJ show: Nashville, TN - 07/07/2017 Most recent JJ show: Louisville, KY - 11/25/16

seancannon

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Now you're just making me blush.

APR

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2017, 02:28 PM »
That was terrific!  A great conversation that I wanted to go on for another few hours.  Thanks for posting and for a special interview.

Lonndown27

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2017, 04:05 PM »
fuck yeah Sean! SeanCannon post more on here man!

Thank you for this gem! Wish you would've asked about the upcoming live album / DVD that nobody remembers is happening hahah, but this is brilliant!
8/2/2012 + 10/07/2015

dogwoody

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Absolutely great interview.

GO4IT

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:19 PM »
Superb, Sean!
That was a half hour well spent :thumbsup:

MamaKel

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Holy sheet that Link Wray album he suggested is a goddamn banger. It'll make you realize your true unicorn nature.

I wish every interview was this epic. I can't get over it.

MMJTX

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:37 AM »
which album was it again?
Anytime

MamaKel

« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:52 AM »
It's the Link Wray self-titled. His favorite tune was "Take Me Home Jesus". I was driving to work down country roads and thought my heart was going to explode with joy listening to it. It gave me the same buzz in my brain that Rodriguez (Searching for Sugar Man) did...

seancannon

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2017, 01:18 PM »
I've been in love with that Link Wray record for a long time, but once I finally buckled and bought it on vinyl, the love was ratcheted up a couple of notches.

This is also the point where I'll be a shameless self-promoter and say that, if you liked this interview, you should check out my radio show/podcast. Lots of in-depth conversations with interesting people on there. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/guestlist-sean-cannon/id509851764

davymac

• senior member sr.
  • That's just like your opinion, man
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2017, 09:32 AM »
This interview is incredible!  Thanks for sharing.

MamaKel

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2017, 01:56 AM »
Since listening to this interview, the song "The World's Smiling Now" took on a whole new depth.

When Sean asks Jim about the vulnerability within his work, Jim talks about having a overly-questioning mind...and working on just accepting a thing like love for what it is...
and in that song, there are all these questions...and then just these breakthrough moments of clarity when the questioning stops and love is accepted...the world is smiling now.

So rad.

It is so pleasurable a feeling when the music is informed by getting insight into the thend thought process of the artist.

davymac

• senior member sr.
  • That's just like your opinion, man
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2017, 08:23 AM »
This interview really does give you a little more depth into Jim.  Gonna listen again this morning.  I've never viewed his lyrics as "vulnerable" but I think that's spot on!  I really think I'm being sincere.

MamaKel

« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2017, 12:06 PM »
When he did that epic performance of "A New Life" on Fallon, he did a little laugh during the "...really think I'm being sincere" part, which was just interpretation at its finest. He is a really gifted actor, which I think stems from that vulnerability...you can't act what you have never felt.

My new obsession is the weird way he says "schmilin'" toward the end of "The World is Smilin' Now". It's sorta creepy, but in a good way.😊

MikeR1390

« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Not to say Jim isn't totally "into" other interviews but it seems like this is one of the most genuine interviews I have ever heard with him. Not sure what makes me think that way but it sure was a great listen. Thanks Sean!